Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Overnight scheduling quirk

2002-09-24 11:35:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Overnight scheduling quirk
From: nic.box AT iop DOT org (Nic Box)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:35:00 +0100
--=_623EC221.D0B1D4D8

Yes, last night! For some reason my Linux class idled for 3 hours even thou=
gh there was a drive free in the library. I just spent a few hours trying t=
o figure this one out and it might just be the frequency set too high. Not =
convinced yet, as I'm still checking the logs, but it might be the reason.

Try changing the frequency value (found under the schedules for the class).=
 This value dictates the elapsed time between the backups for a class/clien=
t.... I think!

Nic

>>> "Gardner, Jesse" <Jesse.Gardner AT storaenso DOT com> 24/09/02 15:46:01 >>>
(Netbackup 4.5)

I'm having a problem where I've got a policy whose backup window needs to be
open between 7pm and 6am.  So it's set up the common sense way- window
starts at 7pm and runs for 11 hours.  Netbackup then automatically sets the
end time to be the next day at 6am, which is fine.

We run incrementals M-Tr and fulls on Friday.  On Monday, the Incremental
starts at 7pm like it should.

On Tuesday->Thursday, it starts at 12:08am (5 hours late).  I figure that
since Monday night's backups ran into Tuesday morning, it confuses the
backup window and thinks it's already done Tuesday's backup.  So it waits
until Wednesday comes around (12:08 am).

Anyone seen this?  Any advice?

Thanks,
Jesse

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.

--=_623EC221.D0B1D4D8

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D1></FONT>Yes, last night! For some reason my Linux class =
idled=20
for 3 hours even though there was a drive free in the library. I just spent=
 a=20
few hours trying to figure this one out and it might just be the frequency =
set=20
too high. Not convinced yet, as I'm still checking the logs, but it might b=
e the=20
reason.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Try changing the frequency value (found under the schedules for the cl=
ass).=20
This value dictates the elapsed time between the backups for a class/client=
....=20
I think!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Nic<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Gardner, Jesse"=20
&lt;Jesse.Gardner AT storaenso DOT com&gt; 24/09/02 15:46:01
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>(Netb=
ackup=20
4.5)<BR><BR>I'm having a problem where I've got a policy whose backup windo=
w=20
needs to be<BR>open between 7pm and 6am.&nbsp; So it's set up the common se=
nse=20
way- window<BR>starts at 7pm and runs for 11 hours.&nbsp; Netbackup then=20
automatically sets the<BR>end time to be the next day at 6am, which is=20
fine.<BR><BR>We run incrementals M-Tr and fulls on Friday.&nbsp; On Monday,=
 the=20
Incremental<BR>starts at 7pm like it should.<BR><BR>On Tuesday-&gt;Thursday=
, it=20
starts at 12:08am (5 hours late).&nbsp; I figure that<BR>since Monday night=
's=20
backups ran into Tuesday morning, it confuses the<BR>backup window and thin=
ks=20
it's already done Tuesday's backup.&nbsp; So it waits<BR>until Wednesday co=
mes=20
around (12:08 am).<BR><BR>Anyone seen this?&nbsp; Any=20
advice?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jesse<BR>________________________________________=
_______<BR>Veritas-bu=20
maillist&nbsp; -&nbsp; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu";>http://m=
ailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</A><BR></DIV><CODE><FONT =
SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
**********************************************************************<BR>
Institute of Physics<BR>
Registered charity No. 293851<BR>
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England<BR>
<BR>
IOP Publishing Limited<BR>
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.<BR>
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England<BR>
<BR>
This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using<BR>
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.<BR>
</FONT></CODE>
</BODY></HTML>

--=_623EC221.D0B1D4D8--