Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up NT to Netbackup

2002-09-23 11:30:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up NT to Netbackup
From: Phil.Stockton AT rs-components DOT com (Phil Stockton)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:30:56 +0100
Hello ,

I'm new to Netbackup and am busy reading up on the product.

The main objective is to backup 3 SAP instances with Netbackup 3.4 on 3
E10K's.

However, an additional requirement is to backup about 40 NT servers.  They
run variously Exchange, Oracle, SQL.  These, I am  ok with.  I also have to
backup some file servers which contain Word, Excel, Powerplay documents.

The following may be that I don't understand Netbackup fully yet.  If I have
to do restores, does Netbackup restore the directories first then the data.
If this is correct in order to prevent multiple tape mounts, once for the
directory and another for the tape, is there any way with Netbackup that I
can backup the directories to disk and only the directories and then backup
the data to tape.  To my mind this would speed up the restore process.
Obviously, I would want the directory backups to stay on disk.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Stockton
RS Components UK

The contents of this Email and any files transmitted with it
are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. The views stated
herein do not necessarily represent the view of the company.
If you are not the intended recipient of this Email you may not
copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever. If you have received this mail in
error please Email the sender.

RS Components Ltd.