Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] upgrade 3.4.1 to 4.5 (warning about SAP agent compatibility)

2002-09-20 21:27:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] upgrade 3.4.1 to 4.5 (warning about SAP agent compatibility)
From: pwinkeler AT pbnj-solutions DOT com (Paul Winkeler)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:27:34 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C260EC.889AF440

MessageCurtis,

There may or may or not be problems with the configuration currently in
effect.  The fact of the matter is that all worked fine with 3.4, including
the Windows based GUI.  The new 4.5 Java GUI is touted as being much
improved and much faster but if that is only because I now all of a sudden
need faster hardware than that is not much of a claim now is it?
The OS on all three servers is a fairly recent (less than 6 month old)
Solaris 5.8 install complete with latest Sun recommended jumbo kernel
patches and I don't suspect the OS.  What appears to be at the root of the
problem is the fact that these are multi-homed machines, meaning they have
multiple network interfaces.  NetBackup assumes that the the hostname of the
machine equates to the name of the machine when it comes to addressing the
server it represents.  For example, we have a system whose hostname is
"bkupsrv1" but whose NetBackup SERVER and CLIENT name is "bkupsrv1.bkup",
which also happens to be its DNS name for its interface on the private
backup network.  During device discovery this appears to screw things up
because NetBackup thinks of "bkupsrv" and "bkupsrv.bkup" as different
machines.  Well, that is my theory anyway.  Agains, for what it's worth, all
this worked just fine under 3.4 and now it is AFU.

As for the administration of these machines, I can talk to them on any of
their other three interfaces just fine.  (Remember, these Solaris boxes wear
many hats and thus have many interfaces.)  I can communicate with them from
my desktop on one of their public interfaces just fine; it is only NetBackup
that gives me trouble right now.

I am going to take your advice and investigate alternate forms of
authentication as I think you may be on to something there.

Thanks for putting up with my rants and continuing to provide a cool
perspective on things,
 PaulW