Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] restoring NT boxes without NetBackup

2002-09-18 10:59:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] restoring NT boxes without NetBackup
From: jerome.bauwens AT steria DOT com (jerome bauwens)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:59:15 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_03CA_01C25F34.B87998B0

Hello everyone,

I'm using NetBackup Datacenter 3,4 GA with a solaris Master Server and a =
L700 library with 9840 Tape Drives at my company's location. One of our =
customer wants to be able to restore a NT4 client at its backup location =
with a DLT III drive. There's a standalone drive on our master which is =
also a DLT III. The NetBackup License we have is only for the site so we =
won't be able to use it. Even if we did, would we have to install a =
master/media on the backup site in order to restore (we don't use the DR =
files so we would have to install the system)?

Anyway, how do you read a tape created with NetBackup from a windows =
system not running NetBackup ?=20
Does the tar32 program on a windows client help me do the trick if I =
bring it on a separate CD ?
Would I have to duplicate the tapes to my standalone using NetBackup ?=20
Would I be able to read my tape if I restore (NT4 client) on a Unix =
server and then tar (with a standard tar) everything back to my DLT =
drive ?

Help will be greatly appreciated,

Jerome

------=_NextPart_000_03CA_01C25F34.B87998B0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm using NetBackup Datacenter 3,4 GA =
with a=20
solaris Master Server and a L700 library with 9840 Tape Drives at my =
company's=20
location. One of our customer wants to be able to restore a NT4 client =
at its=20
backup location with a DLT III drive. There's a standalone drive on our =
master=20
which is also a DLT III. The NetBackup License we have is only for the =
site so=20
we won't be able to use it. Even if we did, would we have to install a=20
master/media on the backup site in order to restore (we don't use the DR =
files=20
so we would have to install the system)?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, how do you read a tape created =
with=20
NetBackup from a windows system not running NetBackup ? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does the tar32 program on a windows =
client help me=20
do the trick if I bring it on a separate CD ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Would I have to duplicate the tapes to =
my=20
standalone using NetBackup ? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Would I be able to read my tape if I =
restore (NT4=20
client) on a Unix server and then tar (with a standard tar) everything =
back to=20
my DLT drive ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Help will be greatly =
appreciated,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jerome</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03CA_01C25F34.B87998B0--