Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What types of backup schedule does everyone use?

2002-08-27 16:46:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What types of backup schedule does everyone use?
From: CBallowe AT usg DOT com (Ballowe, Charles)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:46:47 -0500
Well -- I have paranoid management.
We have weekend full backups (including a filesystem level backup
with the database down) with nightly hot full of the database, and
incremental of the servers. The test and development systems are
backed up on the weekends.

After backups run, duplicates are made of the production systems
and sent to a different facility. They pull the backup tapes and
the duplicate tapes every morning. (Even though the incremental +
full database hot is on the order of 25G ) This means tape usage
is very high with a 6wk retention on the tapes, roughly 3 tapes
per night pulled + weekend schedule. Also, once a month, the colds
are marked for permanent retention and sent off to a data storage
company.

-charlie