Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Storage Migrator

2002-08-20 09:59:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Storage Migrator
From: ajr AT jdbyrider DOT com (ajr AT jdbyrider DOT com)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:59:25 -0500
Hi all,

I realize this is not a Veritas Migrator mailing list, but I figured some
of you have experience with this product since this is a NB group :). Our
company is currently looking at purchasing Migrator for win2000 in order to
offload data that has not been accessed in some time. I have a few
questions concerning this product.

1. When purchasing Migrator is the base license for one system only?
2. How much data where you managing when Migrator became a consideration.
We are currently working with about 350GB of data. At this time I do now
feel we are in need of Migrator. We would be better off enforcing disk
quotas and removing some files.
3.  Any major problems or bugs?
4. We are currently using a SUN ETL 4/1000 tape library w/ four DLT 7K
drives. Two of the four drives are normally busy the majority of the day
with bpvault duties. The majority of our backups are not running during
normal business hours (7-6). However, we do run hourly SQL transaction log
backups throughout the day. This requires one drive. From my understanding
users will still require the archived file to be restored back to disk. Our
current file restores are not the fastest thing in the world ; ). So I'm
assuming the delay to retrieve the file could be rather lengthy based on
server load and tape drive speed.
5. Did you create another tape pool for archiving files moved to tape by
Migrator?
6. Does the integration with NB work smoothly?
7. What kind of the load is placed on the client systems when the archived
file is being restored.

Thanks in advance for comments or suggestions.

A. J. Rebmann
J.D. Byrider Systems, Inc.
Phone: 317.249.3120 | Fax: 317.249.3330
ajr AT jdbyrider DOT com