Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Spontaneous Reboot during Backups

2002-08-19 21:35:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Spontaneous Reboot during Backups
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:35:30 -0400
Hello John

Is the system set up to take a system dump upon system fault. And is it set to
auto restart or stop at a blue screen.

If it is then the info on the blue screen and in the dump should be able to
tell you where the fault lies.
If it is set up, but no dump is taken and there is no blue screen, then it most
likey is a harware problem.
Or it could be a kernal or kernal mode driver problem, but a very strange one.

We had restarts during ms exchange 2k backups and it turned out to be a
motherboard problem. The system's were supposed to take a dump and stop with a
bluescreen, but we never saw them, because the hardware was doing the reset and
the os never saw what hit it.

Good luck len boyle