Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netware backups & virus scan software

2002-08-19 14:51:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netware backups & virus scan software
From: JLaurie AT csu DOT org (JLaurie AT csu DOT org)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:51:10 -0600
--=_alternative 0067CA2987256C1A_=

We just recently have started to use NBU 3.4 for NetWare backups
(non-Target). Our first test to a lab server (with no virus scan software)
resulted in backup rates of about 17.5 GB/hr. The Netware admins were
happy and so we backed up a production server; but the backup rates
dropped by half. The admins noticed that every file being accessed for
backup was also being scanned for viruses. They DOWN'd the vshield NLM and
the backup rates went to 15 GB/ hr.

Has anyone experienced this? Downing Vshield for the 12.5 hours it takes
to backup 188GB seems like a pretty large window of vulnerability. Not to
mention that although the Netware admins can "cron" an automated DOWN of
the NLM prior to the scheduled backup start time, they don't know exactly
when the backups have completed and so have to do periodic backup status
checks at "0dark:30".

I've checked, there is no bpstart_notify and bpend_notify facility
available for NetWare client
--=_alternative 0067CA2987256C1A_=

for NetWare backups (non-Target). Our first test to a lab server (with no virus
scan software) resulted in backup rates of about 17.5 GB/hr. The Netware admins
were happy and so we backed up a production server; but the backup rates
dropped by half. The admins noticed that every file being accessed for backup
was also being scanned for viruses. They DOWN'd the vshield NLM and the backup
rates went to 15 GB/ hr.</font>
for the 12.5 hours it takes to backup 188GB seems like a pretty large window of
vulnerability. Not to mention that although the Netware admins can
&quot;cron&quot; an automated DOWN of the NLM prior to the scheduled backup
start time, they don't know exactly when the backups have completed and so have
to do periodic backup status checks at &quot;0dark:30&quot;.</font>
bpend_notify facility available for NetWare client</font>
--=_alternative 0067CA2987256C1A_=--