Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a SUN cluster with a private backup n etwork

2002-08-19 11:45:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a SUN cluster with a private backup n etwork
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:45:06 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C24797.63E570D0

You're not using a floating IP address so identifying the currently active
system would be difficult.

I can think of some methods - none of them particularly elegant.

1. Use a cron job associated with the active service and do a user-backup to
NB from your active cluster member.  Build a receiving class that'll accept
backups from either host.  Your script can query to see if it is the active
member and send the data if it is or terminate without if not.

2. Use a script like above on the active server to trigger bpsched with
appropriate options to initiate an on-demand immediate backup, ie: bpsched
-IB -class <classname> -client <clientname> .  Background this as otherwise
it runs in the foreground.

3. Use an pre-schedule job (bpstart_notify) on both servers and backup up
both servers normally.  The preschedule job checks the server for the active
service and errors with a non-zero return code if the service is not there.
The backup job will die for the non-zero return code.  The problem is now
you have a daily expected error and that's the top of the slipper slope that
leads to not responding to errors at all.

Well there's three.  I think the first is as good as any of them althrough
you'll have to remember that this particular class is being client driven
rather than master scheduled.

-M