Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a SUN cluster with a private backup network

2002-08-19 07:09:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a SUN cluster with a private backup network
From: patrick.ohagan AT morse DOT com (Patrick O'Hagan)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:09:26 +0100
Hi,

I require to backup a SUN cluster (active/passive) with a dedicated backup
network BUT there will be no floating IP address for the backup network.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to achieve this. (The problem being how do
I know which half of the cluster needs to be backed i.e. what hostname do I
direct the backup to)

The following solution has been suggested but I can't figure out how to
implement it using REQUIRED_INTERFACE -

1) Initiate backup from master server to cluster using the floating ip
address on the public network
2) Route backups over the private network back to the master

Note SUN PS have informed me that having a floating ip address for the
backup network is not an option ( reason - all resources in a sun cluster
are monitored and failure of the backup network would cause the
applications/database to failover)

Thanks Pat O'Hagan