Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Full vs Incremental Backup

2002-08-18 23:00:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Full vs Incremental Backup
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:00:07 -0500
Not sure what happened here, but I just got this reply to a post from several
months ago???

The timestamps in an MS file system are a little different than UNIX and also
behave a little differently.  The three timestamps are created, modified and
last access (instead of changed, modified and last access).  Here are some
differences...

1. rename a file, archive bit is set, modified timestamp does not change
2. move a file, archive bit is set, modified timestamp does not change
3. copy a file, archive bit is set, modified timestamp does not change
4. change security on a file, archive bit is set, modified timestamp does not
change

I think not backing up a file on an incremental after it has been renamed or
not backing up a new file when it is copied/moved to the server until the next
full is ran is more of a problem than trying to understand the archive bit and
trying to avoid doing things that will cause issues (like using two backup
apps on the same server as you mention below).

Using TIR w/ move detection should avoid some of these issues, but I know TIR
adds to the catalog size and I remember someone posting something stating that
TIR didn't work when backing up based on modified date timestamp.

- Scott

                    "W. Curtis Preston"

                    <[email protected]        To:     scott.kendall
AT abbott DOT com, "Donaldson, Mark"
                    om>                                  <Mark.Donaldson AT
experianems DOT com>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     "Veritasbu
(E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
RE: [Veritas-bu] Full vs Incremental Backup
                    auburn.edu

                    08/14/2002 05:14 PM

Which is exactly why the Archive Bit is evil and stupid, and should not be
used for backups.  You can run an NTBACKUP to a CD, and it will clear your
archive bit.  Then NetBackup won't back up the file.  That's stupid.  Mtime
should be used only.

If you agree, then you will want to change the default behavior of
NetBackup by setting the following registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]
"Use_Archive_Bit"="NO"