Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup policy !

2002-07-22 12:16:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup policy !
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:16:26 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2319B.21363DD0

You could reset the retention for your images with a cron script running
"bpexpdate".  You could also use another schedule with a different retention
time.  If you set your normal retention fulls and your infinite rentention
fulls to run at the same time, but had the infinite retention time on a
monthly schedule, then when the two schedules try to run at the same time,
the one monthly one will win in precedence.

I'm not saying this well.

If two schedules in a class are scheduled for the same time, the one that
has run *least* recently will have precedence over the more recent one.
Make this your infinite-retention schedule.

Your duplication process will interfere with backups as far as it affects
drive availability.  If you drives stay busy through the backup window, then
your backups may fail with an error for "backup window closed" (sorry, I
forget the number).

There seems to be a battle for drive availability during duplications.  I've
seen a duplication, when switching tapes or images, get interrupted by a
backup sneaking in.  I've wished for a way to set priority but in v3.4 it's
not possible.

FWIW: For speeding duplications, I've found that if I dup from a set of
images that is not multiplexed, I get significant speed advantages.

HTH - Mark