Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris fssnap

2002-07-15 21:11:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris fssnap
From: hskelly AT ccrwest DOT org (Hal Skelly)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
Is there any way to integrate the snapshotting functionality of UFS via the
fssnap_ufs
command in Solaris with NBU 4.5?  The desire would be to use it in either full
or
incremental dumps.  Even if we don't use the scheduler, but put the bpbackup
job
under cron control, that would be okay.

I'm evaluating 4.5 (and liking the new calendar feature).  However the forces
around
me are less than thrilled about having to give up either atime or ctime
modification
on files.  Is there any way to preserve both?  I guess what we're looking for
is a
backup solution which will have all of the neat goodies of Netbackup, still use
standard data backup protocols (eg. ufsdump or tar), but operate on the blocks
under
the file system (as ufsdump works on the raw device under the filesystem it is
backing
up).

TIA,
Hal Skelly