Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: [NBUADV-L] Reporting without e-mail

2002-07-15 16:43:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: [NBUADV-L] Reporting without e-mail
From: PYLE AT wapa DOT gov (John Pyle)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:43:25 -0600
I really appreciate it, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again,

John

>>> "Jeff Kennedy" <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com> 7/15/2002 11:12:03 AM >>>
/etc/init.d/sendmail or /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail.  These 2 are
hardlinked
so it doesn't matter which one you edit, they are the same inode.

On Solaris 8, line 18 of this file should be:

MODE="-bd"

Just make it an empty "" and restart sendmail (or reboot if you want
test it).

man sendmail.....

 -bd   Run as a daemon in the background, waiting for  incom-
           ing SMTP connections.

This is a very bad thing if it's not a sendmail server...

root   237     1  0   Jul 08 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m

(very, very, bad....)

root   237     1  0   Jul 08 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail
-q15m   (much
better....)

~JK

John Pyle wrote:

> I really do not have a security issue with the reports or sending
e-mail
> out of this server.  The vulnerabilities of sendmail itself were my
> Security Officer's main issue.  Could you tell me if you know how to
> configure sendmail to come up without the -bd option?  I would want
this
> to be the default and not depend on a manual restart of sendmail at
each
> boot.  Is there a config file that starts sendmail with the -bd
option
> that I can change, or a rc script that can be modified?  If you do
not
> have the details I will research this but I thought if you knew it
would
> save me the time.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> John

> There was a reply earlier regarding putting sendmail in
non-listening
> mode; essentially restarting it without the -bd option.  If you do
> that
> then there is *no* security risk of a break-in via sendmail.
>
> The only argument to that is that mail could be sent out if someone
> managed to break in.  But come on, they could do that anyway (take a
> look at mconnect if they want an idea of how it's done).
>
> ~JK
>
> John Pyle wrote:
> >
> > I have a security standard that may prevent my using send mail, or
> lpr for reporting.  As the only other option is files within
Netbackup /

--
Jeff Kennedy