Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 84 errors

2002-07-15 10:36:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 84 errors
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:36:33 -0400 (EDT)
Good day.  This is turning into a typical Monday, with plenty of problems
first thing in the morning.

I came in to work this morning to find the weekend backup job failed.  the
Status window showed error code 84, and between the event, system, and
bptm logs, it looks like there was a bad block.  Not really understanding
what would cause or fix the problem, I power cycled the tape drive and put
in a different tape, labelling it the same as the one used for the failed
job.  No media was frozen.  Manually launched the backup, and it failed.
However, I'm pretty sure this was due to me starting it too soon after the
drive powered on.  I waited five minutes or so and tried again and it went
just fine.

Could any of you folks write a few lines lending your knowledge to me?
I'm wondering what when wrong, and more importantly how to avoid it in the
future.

Thanks very much,
Ron Lyman.