Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Switching from NBU on Solaris to Linux

2002-07-12 19:59:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Switching from NBU on Solaris to Linux
From: kastus AT epocrates DOT com (Shchuka, Konstantin)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:59:35 -0700
On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 07:33:44PM -0400, Kevin Madrick wrote:
> I'm using Disksuite now to mirror the root drives and I have /opt on a
> RAID 5 volume with it.
>
> We do around 2 TB/week, and we want to have 1 weeks worth of backups on
> disk. UFS has a 1 TB limit, but VxFS is supposed to get an upgrade to 32
> TB later this year. So, in order to use get a storage unit of 2 TB, I'm
> going to need VxFS. I could probably use ODS wih VxFS, but I've never
> heard of anyone doing it. Usually, people just use Foundation Suite.

Just FYI: Reiserfs v.3.6 on Linux has the following limits:

max number of files             2^32 => 4G
max number files a dir can have 2^31 => 2G
max number sub-dirs in a dir    2^16-1 K => 64536K
max file size                   2^60-1 bytes => 1 Ebytes,
max number links to a file      2^32 => 4.29 G
max filesystem size             2^32 (4K) blocks => 17.6 Tbytes

Reiserfs v.3.6 comes standard with SuSE Linux starting from version 7.3

I don't know if Linux is a viable alternative for you.

--
Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka
Unix System Administrator