Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] question regarding netbackup catalogue sizes and offsite backups

2002-07-01 16:24:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] question regarding netbackup catalogue sizes and offsite backups
From: mpreston AT soe.sony DOT com (Preston, Mark)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:24:24 -0700
Hey,

we have a couple of filers with literally thousands of files on them, so
doing a weekly full creates very large db catalogue files on the netbackup
server (in the Gb range). If we retain this catalogue information on the
netbackup master server for the duration of the life of the tape while it's
in offsite storage we would need huge amounts of disk space on the master
server just to hold the catalogue data. How do other people manage this
issue? We don't have bpvault right now.

Can tapes be shipped offsite along with a netbackup database backup tape and
then the client images expired on the master server to reclaim the catalogue
space? if so, how would you do a restore from those offsite tapes?

thanks in advance

mark