Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalogue Backup Question

2002-06-28 14:20:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalogue Backup Question
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:20:13 -0400 (EDT)
The directories backed up to the catalogue tape total approx 190 MB
currently.  It seems wasteful to use a whole SDLT tape for this little bit
of data (and have to change to the CAT tape every morning in our single
standalone drive).  How do you folks deal with this?  Just bite the bullet
and buy the tapes?  FWIW, we currently run a FULL backup to DLT Monday
through Friday, and have 5 tapes (CAT001 - CAT001 :) we bring in each day
to back up the catalog.  I am looking at starting backing up to SDLT
tonight, but am a little curious about different ways of protecting the
catalog.  One requirement is that this goes offsite daily for DRP
purposes, so the extra tapes may be the best way to go.  At over $1000 CDN
for the 5 tapes, I'm open to alternate solutions.

If I have a job scheduled to copy these files to a protected location
prior to NBU kicking off, I would be missing the data from that run, so I
have a feeling my best solution economically (and still protect the data)
will be to have 2 catalog tapes - but, due to timings with our offsite
storage filing and picking, we would need 3.  Hmmm, decisions,
decisions...  :)

Thanks for reading this far,
Ron Lyman.