Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Novell issue

2002-06-27 10:13:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Novell issue
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:13:01 -0400
What version and patch level of NW are you on ?
I don't have this problem with a mix of NE 5.0, 5.1, and now a few NW6
machines. The user id you are using needs to have unlimited connections
allowed, but if nds is having a problem with the same user id connecting
I would suspect a problem with nds.
It also may depend on what patch levels of both netware and netbackup
you have. We have three large data servers, volumes 100 gig and up that
have had numerous problems with otm causing high utilization. NW5.1 SP4
especially is difficult. I've had to suspend otm on one of the servers
to get the backups to run. On another server with SP2, otm works, but
never unmounts it's virtual volume at the end of the backup.
Our environment is:
Netbackup 4.5, just upgraded, and the nw clients are still at 3.4
Smdr version 5.06 from 12/20/01
Tsa500 vers 5.05 from 12/7/01
Tsands vers 10110.39e from 11/14/01
Otmcdm and Otmlapi versions dated 6/7/01
Bpcd version dated 5/20/02, this is a special version from Veritas to
try to correct the otm problem.
Also have a filesys patch, vers 5.10 dates 4/25/02

Bob Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
734-930-3703
Fax 734-669-3703
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> "Jeff Kennedy" <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com> 6/27/02 9:27:02 AM >>>
I have had to create a seperate class for each and every Novell server
in my datacenter.  The reason is that if all of them are in the same
class, when it fires up several of them abend.  If they are in a
seperate class they do not.  My Novell admins are saying it's because
the backups start at the same time, causing NDS issues because the
backup user logs into all the machines at the same time.

2 things then:

1) Can anyone out there with Novell and NBU experience confirm this is
the case?  I want to make sure it's not just because I'm on an ancient
burial ground.

2) Is there a way to have clients in the same class start at different
times?  (I don't think so but I have to ask)

These guys said they had the same problem with Backup Exec so it seems
99% probability it's a Novell problem and not an NBU one.

Thanks.