Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] More details regarding Incremental backups backing up the same amount as FULLs? !!!

2002-06-23 12:23:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] More details regarding Incremental backups backing up the same amount as FULLs? !!!
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Manders)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:23:56 -0700
Hi again,

Here are some more details on this issue, which is still plaguing us.

Original question:

>> Hi,
> > We have a few clients (not all) that every single night we run a INCR =
> > backup (not a CINC or FULL) the amount backed up is exactly the same =
> > size as a FULL, which has caused us to use hundreds of tapes in the last
=
> > few weeks. Any ideas why this wouyld happen?

This question is where we were able to narrow things down.
> What kind of clients?  Are they windows machines or UNIX?

We have narrowed it down. All the systems with this problem are Macintoshes
(7*-OSX). All of their classes have the 'Cross Mount Points' set, so that we
can use the include_list and exclude_lists, since they appear to ahve not
been being used with the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive.

Perhaps the cross mount points is causing this? We will be trying out a set
of classes without that checked, but we are worried that people's directives
in the include/exclude lists are not getting read. Is there are way to
assure that this will happen without the cross mount points?

It is true that all have antivirus software, but our other home grown
product (called MacDumps) has not had this problem.

Any further ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Chris