Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shares ARE recreated on NT

2002-06-13 12:09:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shares ARE recreated on NT
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:09:16 -0700
We have seen this issue.  If you restore data from Windows machine A to Windows
machine B, you get all the shares back.

Veritas support initially insisted we must be somehow selecting "System State".
 We literally took screen shots of each step to demonstrate that we were not
selecting "System State".  Shortly after submitting everything, they recognized
the problem and issued the technote.

I am not a Windows admin, but I understand that this problem is a headache.  If
we restore data from one machine to another, they have to go in and change
permissions, manually remove keys, etc.

NT Backup, BackupExec, etc. do not do all the work that NetBackup does - they
just do raw volume dumps, which is probably why they don't exhibit this
problem.  Last I heard from Veritas, they say the problem is with the Microsoft
API.

--
Drew Fabbro
fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com