Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using NetBackup with multiple interfaces

2002-06-07 20:06:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using NetBackup with multiple interfaces
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 02:06:08 +0200 (MEST)
>I have two Sunfire 3800 systems each with 4 Gigabit interfaces.  These are
>interfaces
>that will all be used for backups.  I'm trying to figure out how to make
>NetBackup use
>all of these interfaces without getting too complicated.  I'll be using IP
>Network
>Multipathing if possible.  Does anyone know how to set up NetBackup with
>multiple
>interfaces that are being used for backups.  I'm trying to figure out how to
>have
>proper communications with multiple interfaces and not have NetBackup blow up.

This is a hard problem. I think, currently, the only way is to define four
different
clients in NBU, with each client backing up 1/4th of the data. Note that there
are
scripts on the web that create filelists of a filesystem equally divided in n
pieces, to
be used with bpbackup.

IPMP: IF bundeling works for outgoing connections in a 'one to many'
configuration.
IPMP on the client fails the 'one to many' rule: there's only one backup
server. IPMP on
the server fails the 'outgoing connections' rule: bulk data comes INTO the
server. Thus
IPMP bundeling is useless for backup (as is Sun Trunking that has the same
restrictions).
However, IPMP in a failover config works as designed.

If I understand your problem correctly: client(s) with large amount of data and
a tight
backup window:

a. look for ways to decrease the amount of data to back'd up (incrementals,
   agents, redo logs, talking: it's not very intelligent behaviour to transfer
n TB
   on a daily basis)
b. look for ways to snapshot the filesystem. i've done this by using disksuite,
vxvm
   instant image and fssnap (included in s8 04/01). this enables you to reduce
the backup
   window to a few (10) minutes, giving 23:50 for transfer to tape. Need disk
storage
   for this though.
c. SAN does not help here. Native transfer speed for FC is 100MB/s as it is for
   ge, allthough FC's efficiency is a bit better.
d. You'll need an awfull lot of diskspindles to feed 4 ge interfaces at the
client side.
   (4 x ~60MB/s = 240MB/s. 1 T3 R5 LUN (for example) is capable of +- 25MB/s
meaning that
   you would need (to stripe) 9 or 10 T3's to feed to ge's. Do you really have
that
   storage?

I think the only viable ways are a and b, because striping is not introduced in
the tape-
and lan worl yet.

My 2 cents,

Joost