Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Maximum jobs per client setting

2002-06-03 10:03:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Maximum jobs per client setting
From: sgiessle AT wvu DOT edu (Steve Giessler)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:03:50 -0400
Questions for the list from a Veritas NB newbie. I have a Windows
2000 box setup as the Master Server:

Under "Master Server Properties" I found the Maximum jobs per client
(Global) setting and I increased this.

I also noticed in the same window under the "Client Attributes" tab,
another setting labeled "Maximum Data Streams (I assume per client)."
But I couldn't change this setting or add clients in that window
because it is all grayed out.

What is the difference between Max jobs per client and Max streams per client?

The online help says that if it is gray this means that I have unique
settings for each client. I have 3 unix clients in one class, and
then the Win 2000 master server is in a class by itself with a
separate backup schedule. How do I specify in each client this
setting? I just set it up for the first time and don't recall ever
setting this for each client. I'd like to do it globally instead if
possible.

Also, I originally tried to get NB working under Solaris 8 on an E450
server (this is how we previously ran Legato Networker). I struggled
with it for quite some time and got SCSI time out errors and
sync/rate errors, until I finally gave up and decided to move the
tape library/drive to a Windows 2000 box. Would it make more sense
for me to go back to the Unix box for stability/security, etc, if I
can get it working there?

Thanks for any advice,
--

Steve Giessler, Unix System Administrator
West Virginia University