Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multiple streams/ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES/slow restores

2002-05-31 16:21:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiple streams/ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES/slow restores
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Another question I have is in regard to the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive:
>
> It seems that when I do a backup with the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive
> selected, I am getting redundant backups. What I mean is when I do a
> full backup, each mount point gets backed up, and then when it backs
> up / (root) partition - it goes through and backs up all of the
> subdirectories under root also - in other words - all of my mount
> points - the entire file system gets backed up - twice in one full
> backup.
>
> How can I prevent this? I don't want to have to manually tell it
> which directories to backup (never had to with Legato Networker).

Networker never crosses mount points, but Netbackup may.  In the
settings for the class, there should be a checkbox for "Cross mount
points".  Just uncheck that whenever you use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

> My last question is this: When I do a restore - it seems to read
> through the entire 50 gig tape in order to find the files that were
> selected to restore. With Legato Networker, the index files kept
> track of the position of the files on the tape and it would find and
> restore them very quickly (in 5 minutes or less usually). I tried
> restoring a few small files (200 K or so total) and it took about an
> hour for it to scan through the entire tape before it could find the
> files and restore them. Surely I must be doing something wrong. I
> have two catalog locations selected - one is the first tape in my
> library, and alternately a directory on my master server's hard disk.

I've seen that behavior in "BudTool" and some other programs before.  In
every case, it was on a Solaris machine with a DLT*000 drive, and the
st.conf file was screwed up.  Once the file was fixed, the the drive was
able to seek directly rather than having to "read" to position.

I don't know any way to modify the seek behavior in either Netbackup or
Networker, so I'd first supsect the OS settings rather than the app in
this case.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company