Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage Tek Drives

2002-05-23 17:16:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage Tek Drives
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:16:28 -0500
The drives: 9840a's and b's

A client installed a new media server, ran some test backups and was
disappointed with the results.  We looked at how it was configured and I
mentioned that he may want to increase the buffer size to 256K.  They did,
but now can't restore the data from the previous backups that were done at
the default block size.

I am almost positive I have had customers tweak this value up and down
without sacraficing their abilities to do restores (DLT mostly).

Is this typical of the 9840 drives?

If so, my alternative plan is going to be to

1. duplicate the images from the new media server to the master server.
2. bpexpdate images on the new server
3. duplicate these images on the master to meet their DR level.

is there a better idea?

David

David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant