Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Server on MSSQL server?

2002-05-22 10:00:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Server on MSSQL server?
From: Rick.Morris AT IGT DOT com (Morris.Rick.C)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:00:43 -0700
Tom,

(Configuration noted below)
We currently have three SQL servers running as media servers.  One is
standalone SQL servers and the other two are part of an active-active
cluster.  Since Veritas 3.4 does not support active-active Microsoft
cluster, the only way to be sure that the DB is backed up, is to schedule
the backup on both nodes of the cluster. Of course one always fails since
the DB is on the other node.  The only reason that I am aware of for making
a SQL server a media server is backup speed.  When configured as a media
server, backup speed is 8100+ KBS on a two drive backup.  When configured as
a client, backup speed is 5200+ KBS on a two drive backup. And, don't
forget, as soon as you add a media server, the tapes it uses are no longer
shared with other backup's.  When I installed NB Datacenter 18 months ago,
it was a nightmare for SQL backups.  Most of the time the NB SQL backups
would fail and also prevent me from running a SQL backup until SQL was
stopped and started.  I don't remember which patch eliminated this problem
but it has been a year or so since the problem occurred.  I was able to
restore a DB that a consultant had wasted without a problem.  I have seen
very little impact on SQL with a media server configured.

So, unless the current SQL servers are running on the edge and there is a
need-for-speed, then I wouldn't hesitate installing a media server.

Configuration
Servers - Database
All W2k Advanced Servers w/SP2 running SQL 2k w/SP2.
DL580's, (one Cluster) three processors with 2 Gig to 4 Gig of RAM.
Two 8500's (one cluster) with 4 Gig of Ram.

SAN - Fibre
Compaq 16 port Switches
Two Compaq MDR's (one active, see TL895 below)
Two TL895's, seven DLT7000 drives (only one active right now as we are
having major problems when loading tapes in the load port)
Each SAN attached server as dual HBA's.

Rick Morris
IGT - SAP Basis Administrator
775-448-7293