Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-05-20 09:48:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: dave.markham AT icl DOT net (David Markham)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:48:02 +0100
I have just got to grips with multi plexing today, it gets a bit confusing
in the pdf.

Ill try and explain it how i understand it but i may get lost so apologize
in advance.

Right the are 2 bits to multi plexing, theres a maximum mpx per drive, set
on the "change storage unit" screen. And there is the mpx value on each
schedule.

Now multiplexing how i understand it is how many jobs will run on a tape at
once.
If a schedule has 8 clients init and you want to run all these jobs on 1
tape then set the schedule mpx to 8 or more and the mpx per drive to 8 or
more. It should then attempt to backup stuff to 1 tape until it fills up.

You can though split this all up and if you have 2 schedules you can start
to span them over different drives. Its finding a balance. I have had to
work out best way of doing this with 4 drives 4 schedules with 22 clients
overall. but anyway...

Its probably best if you mail me actual questions becuase i will just waffle
on

Dave