Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: upgrade from NB 3.4 to 4.5?

2002-05-16 22:53:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: upgrade from NB 3.4 to 4.5?
From: MTNiehaus AT MarathonOil DOT com (Niehaus, Michael T.)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:53:50 -0400
I just completed an upgrade (on Windows 2000) and get the feeling I'm breaking
new ground.  From what I read in the release notes, it sounded like you could
just upgrade the master server then do more later, starting with the media
servers, then the admin consoles, and finally the clients.  Well, I did our
master and two dedicated media servers (which went fairly well), but then the
remaining media servers wouldn't work: the jobs using them failed with an error
43, unexpected message received.

Fortunately, I only had three other media servers, so I went ahead and upgraded
those too, which cured that problem.  At that point, everything appeared to be
working as expected: backup jobs ran (on all the non-upgraded clients),
restores worked fine, etc.

Since then, I've had some problems with the new admin GUI though - I think it's
more than just a bit flaky.  Although I wasn't too fond of the old Windows GUI,
I think now I want it back.  Some of the oddities:

1.  When viewing all the tape drives, you can "change" one of them (to bring up
the properties) before the GUI had actually connected to the device manager on
the media server.  This causes the tape device name field to be blank; if you
fill it in, you'll get an error.  So, wait until all the information is
populated before bringing up the properties.

2.  Sometimes the device monitor reports (especially when you refresh the
screen) that "Device Manager Down" even when it isn't.

3.  Sometimes you can't "up" or "down" a drive without getting an error.

4.  When trying to add a new client to a backup policy, I received an error 42.
 Somehow (possibly through user error trying command line utilities, although I
know I never chose "delete" as an option) the backup policy subsequently got
deleted and had to be recreated from scratch.  (Fortunately I could get the
original machine list from the log files.)

5.  I ran the "cat_convert" program to convert the old text-based catalog files
to binary catalog files (an optional step), in place recursively.  I don't
recommend doing this: it kicked out quite a few catalogs as being "invalid
ASCII format" and instead of just leaving them there unchanged it replaced them
with an empty file, making browsing for files to restore impossible.  Worse, it
didn't tell me which ones.  I ended up restoring all of the old catalogs from
an NTBACKUP "just-in-case" backup of the entire master server before I started
the upgrade.

That's all I've found so far, in the first three days...

-Michael Niehaus
 IT Consultant
 Marathon Oil Company