Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.

2002-05-16 21:17:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.
From: MSyed AT xo DOT com (Syed, Mukarram)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:17:09 -0500
Hi All,
I am trying to restore from a root file system backup (/, /usr, /opt,
/export/home and /var) directories to another disk on the same client so
that I can boot off the second disk.  When you do the restore, do you click
on the rename hard links and rename soft links?  (I am using Java GUI,
jnbSA)
When I rename softlinks I get a "Cross-device link" error in my restores and
they are partially successful.  I think the hard links need to be checked.
When I boot off the restored disk after installing bootblk and editing the
entries in the /etc/vfstab file, I get the following error and the system
freezes.
Any help on restoring the system boot disk in a solaris environment would be
very helpful to me, othewise my backup is of no use.

        Rebooting with command: boot /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@3,1/disk@6,0 -s

        Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@3,1/disk@6,0  File and args: -s
        SunOS Release 5.7 Version Generic_106541-16 64-bit [UNIX(R) System V
Release 4.0]
        Copyright (c) 1983-1999, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
        -
        INIT: Command
                     "exec /sbin/autopush -f /etc/iu.ap"
                                                         failed to execute.
errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

                      INIT: Command
                                   "exec /sbin/soconfig -f /etc/sock2path"

failed to execute.  errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

                                        INIT: Command
                                                     "exec /sbin/rcS sysinit
>/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console"
                                            failed to execute.  errno = 2
(exec of shell failed)

         INIT: Command
                      "exec /sbin/soconfig -f /etc/sock2path"
                                                              failed to
execute.  errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

                           INIT: Command
                                        "exec /sbin/rcS sysinit
>/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console"
                            failed to execute.  errno = 2 (exec of shell
failed)

INIT: Command

"exec /sbin/rcS sysinit           >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console"

failed to execute.  errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

                                                INIT: Cannot create
/var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

            INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

                                                  INIT: failed write of
utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

                       Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
                                                                     (or
give root password for system maintenance):

Mukarram Syed
UNIX Systems Administrator