Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TapeAlert cleaning, TLD, and Pools

2002-05-15 08:58:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TapeAlert cleaning, TLD, and Pools
From: jaearick AT colby DOT edu (Jeff A. Earickson)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
Beware.  I have a Sun L20 tape robot.  When I got it and wondered about
setting up the auto-tape-cleaning facility on Netbackup, I then wondered
how often DLT tape drives should be cleaned.  So I called Sun and got
their tape gurus.  Their response was "don't auto-clean your drives,
you will wear out your tape heads".  The party line from Sun is:
clean your drives when they need cleaning, ie when you see the "needs
cleaning" icon appear on the LCD of the tape robot.

Is this good advice?  I don't know.  Since installing my L20 last summer
and cleaning the drives once at the start, I have never seen the "needs
cleaning" icon appear on my LCS screen.  So I have never cleaned my
drives since.  I've had no problems or bad tapes either.  Maybe it was
good advice from Sun, or maybe I'm just lucky.  Any other opinions?

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick AT colby DOT
edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842