Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] disk storage unit

2002-05-13 16:23:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] disk storage unit
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:23:06 -0700
I created a disk storage unit on my backup server to test performance of
disk vs. tape.  I found that there isn't that much of an increase; 30%
to 50%.  It may look impressive at first but I was expecting at least
100%+ improvement.  Here's my setup:

Sun E250 - 2 X 400MHz, 2gb ram, gigabit network
A5000 fiber array - 14 drives, Veritas VM striped-pro 7 and 7

Most clients tested were gigabit as well, here's a sampling:

Sun E280 - 2 X 750MHz, 8gb ram, gigabit
Intel P3 (Novell) - 2 X 900MHz, 2gb ram, gigabit

Is there something about setting up a disk stu that I missed?  It looked
simple enough.

Thanks.
--
Jeff Kennedy