Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SQL Server 2000 problems

2002-05-09 12:47:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SQL Server 2000 problems
From: LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca (Lee Anne Pedersen)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:47:46 -0600
I'm having increasing problems with my SQL Server 2000 backups (via the SQL
Agent)
with NBU 3.4.1 on Windows 2000 Adv Server SP2. I have yet to figure out if
these
problems are related, but I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions. I don't
know if the
problems are caused by SQL Server, NBU, VDI or the network.

1. Backups fail without ever reaching the Activity Monitor.

The error in SQL's log is:
BACKUP failed to complete the command backup database "PMProd01" to
VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-1728-1160' with blocksize = 512, maxtransfersize = 65536,
buffercount = 1
and
BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: CoCreateInstance failure on backup device
'VNBU0-1728-1160'. Operating system error -2147467262(No such interface
supported).

This occurs randomly, from none to 18 databases per night. I've checked
Microsoft's
and Veritas' websites and have found nothing that relates to my specific
situation.

2. Backups never complete.
Fairly regularly I have backup operations in the client monitor window that
have an
Operation Type of Unknown that never complete. They sit with an Operation
Status
of 'In Progress' even though all the jobs are done and it's wrapped up the
operation
with a summary of '<x> jobs completed successfully, <x> jobs failed'. Is there
any way to 'end' these without deleting them?

Other info: Master server is also Win2K Adv Server SP2, both master and client
are
patched to 341_2. Both machines have gigabit ethernet cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Lee Anne

Lee Anne Pedersen
LAN/Server Analyst

Alberta Corporate Service Centre (ACSC)
DCS Delivery Team E
Ph: 780-427-2504
LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.