Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] pre-command and post-command

2002-05-09 09:57:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] pre-command and post-command
From: jonw AT n2h2 DOT com (Jon Walton)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 06:57:28 -0700 (PDT)
Does Oracle have a built-in 'dump' command that performs a database dump
to a file or series of files?    This is how we backup our Sybase ASE
servers.   We dump to a filer, then backup that filer to tape after the
database dump has finished.

Since the database dumps stay on the filer for a few days, more often than
not, the DBA can perform restores without any interaction with the
backup/restore system.

Of course this method gets tougher and more expensive with very large
databases.

-Jon