Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange PST file backups

2002-05-09 08:39:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange PST file backups
From: LO.Wilson AT pgnmail DOT com (Wilson, LO O)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:39:15 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1F756.87B1A920

I am having a problem trying to set up a backup for just pst files off my NT
NBU clients.

I find that a lot of our  incremental backups are being consumed by exchange
email pst files, since they are always included in incrementals as soon as a
user opens their exchange mailbox. I'd like to exclude these pst files from
regular backups and set up a separate backup class/sched for just pst files.

This sounds pretty simple, using the include and exclude lists etc. but it's
turning out to be quite a challenge. I've tried the following client
settings, and then some, to no avail:

- Class pstbackup       Filepath  :\    exclude  :\             include
*.pst

- Filepath  F:\                 exclude F:\     include *.pst

- Filepath *.pst                no exclude      no include

In all cases, the directives are ignored and all files are backed up!

Note that the client should have a pst exclude entry in the 'regular backup'
exclude list, so I think the pst backup include/excludes will need to be
setup with class (pstbackup) reference in the setup(?)

Any help would save us all a lot of unnecessary backup traffic. Thanks.

Lo Wilson,
Progress Energy

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1F756.87B1A920

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Exchange PST file backups</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am having a problem trying to set up =
a backup for just pst files off my NT NBU clients. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I find that a lot of our&nbsp; =
incremental backups are being consumed by exchange email pst files, =
since they are always included in incrementals as soon as a user opens =
their exchange mailbox. I'd like to exclude these pst files from =
regular backups and set up a separate backup class/sched for just pst =
files.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">This sounds pretty simple, using the =
include and exclude lists etc. but it's turning out to be quite a =
challenge. I've tried the following client settings, and then some, to =
no avail:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- Class =
pstbackup&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Filepath&nbsp; :\&nbsp; =
&nbsp; exclude&nbsp; :\ &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; include *.pst</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- Filepath&nbsp; F:\&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; exclude F:\ =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; include *.pst</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- Filepath =
*.pst&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; no =
exclude&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; no include</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In all cases, the directives are =
ignored and all files are backed up!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Note that the client should have a pst =
exclude entry in the 'regular backup' exclude list, so I think the pst =
backup include/excludes will need to be setup with class (pstbackup) =
reference in the setup(?)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any help would save us all a lot of =
unnecessary backup traffic. Thanks.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Lo Wilson,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Progress Energy</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>