Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: BEST WAY to schedule a monthly backup prior to 4.5

2002-05-08 13:52:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: BEST WAY to schedule a monthly backup prior to 4.5
From: John.Snodgrass AT icn.siemens DOT com (Snodgrass, John)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 13:52:56 -0400
I've just been through this, so it's still fresh in my mind.

What I have done and it works great is to use the frequency.  If you look at
the documentation, you'll see that the scheduler uses the frequency to
prioritize between two schedules that occur at the same time.  So what I did
was to create a monthly schedule by making a copy of the weekly schedule for
each class.  I set the retention time, tape pool accordingly for the for
monthly schedule, and made sure the frequency on the weekly schedule is set
to one 1 week and the monthly is set to 4 weeks.

A couple of caveats to are.  The first backup that will run will be the
monthly schedule, since it has the longer retention time.  For any given
client, I get a monthly, followed by 3 weeks of weeklies.  If you add a new
client into an existing class, it will run the monthly, even if the other
clients run the weekly.

Because I use a 4 week frequency, I get 13 monthly backups a year instead of
12.  It took some doing, but I finally convinced our operations group to
treat all the full backups the same.  They get pulled from the library to
get sent to our off-site storage for a week, then they all come back to our
on-site vault, where they are all hung on the shelves in numerical order
until their retention period has ended.  I have scripts that I run each week
that mails a reports to the operators telling them what tapes to pull as
scratch tapes.  They don't care if they are weekly or monthly, as NetBackup
takes care of that for us.

This may not do exactly what you need, but hopefully it will give you some
ideas.

John Snodgrass
Siemens ICN
Lake Mary, FL