Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: What is the BEST WAY to schedule a monthly b ackup (without 4. 5)

2002-05-08 13:02:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: What is the BEST WAY to schedule a monthly b ackup (without 4. 5)
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:02:14 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1F6B2.1A2330D0

One method would be to create a class like mentioned below, then activate
and deactivate via cron with the bpclinfo command

bpclinfo <classname> -modify -active
bpclinfo <classname> -modify -inactive

Another method would be to create a class with everyting you need but no
scheduled windows, then call the class via cron to do a manual backup
whenever you want:

bpsched -class <classname> -IB

Yet another method, since you say the data is there one week and gone the
next is to make it "get gone" by using a UARC job (user archive).  Since the
backed-up files are deleted if successfully sent to tape and not deleted if
there's a problem, then it's a very sure method of making sure a copy gets
on tape.  We do this with our Oracle archived-redo - we never simply delete
it, we archive it instead.

It's pretty easy to do a "first Saturday of the month" type of backup with
cron since you can do entries like this

0 8 1-7 * 6 /usr/local/backup_job

HTH - Mark