Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 84 85 86 errors

2002-05-07 12:14:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 84 85 86 errors
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:14:12 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1F5E2.39BE9590

Hi Troy,

I just got three hours of sleep after fixing this problem all night.
Somewhere along the way, several months ago, I patched Solaris and the patch
overwrote the /kernel/drv/st.conf file with the default file.  All the
netbackup stuff has been very unhappy about losing the specialized entries
in here.  (For your fiber drives, I'm not sure if st.conf still applies but
there may be an analogous file).

Seems like all you'd have to do is fix the file to where it came from and
reboot and you'd be done, right?  Wrong.

One fallout of this is I've been writing tapes with fixed block sizes - not
variable ones.  Once the st.conf file is fixed, the tapes written with fixed
blocks under the default st.conf file are no longer compatible with the new
st.conf file.

The work-around to this is suspend all non-full assigned tapes.  This will
force NB to grab new tapes for backup rather than unsuccessfully trying to
seek to position on the partially-written fixed-block tapes.  When the
images on the tapes are expired, NB will turn these suspended tapes back for
reuse.

If you have to read a fixed-block tape you can touch:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/FIXED_LENGTH_BLOCKS

...before the restore then remove it right after.

HTH - Mark