Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] No motif GUI in NBU 4.5?

2002-05-03 09:05:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] No motif GUI in NBU 4.5?
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:05:10 -0400

> Personally I like [the new GUI] and feel that we have
> made huge strides in the functionality it provides.

   I'm all for a leaner, better-looking, more-functional GUI whether it's
written in Java or TCL or pig latin as long as I'm standing at the console
or working over the LAN. But from home, over dial-up, it just won't fly. I
_can_, however, SSH in over a modem connection and then run the
character-based interface quite well (the survival of which I'm *very*
grateful for); I can use motif interface from my linux laptop with better
speed than the Java interface on my Winders 98 system.

> I know that change can be difficult, but try it folks you
> might like it.

   Actually, it looks like a _lot_ of work has gone into this new version,
and I think everyone at Veritas is to be commended for all their effort.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improvements, but when I lose a tool I
_need_ then I get cranky.
   I'm looking forward to the new version of NBU -- calendar-based
scheduling alone made me do a little end zone dance when I saw it the first
time, while the news of Bare Metal Restore made me get light-headed -- and
I'll happily use the Java GUI when I upgrade. In fact, just to start getting
used to The Java Client Way, I've already sworn off the motif GUI
cold-turkey. [Heck, if the new look-n-feel makes the Windows admins a little
more confortable restoring to a Unix system, then I'd be content.]
   It's just like I said: I need that lean, mean, motif client when I'm
operating with restricted bandwidth, and I don't think I'm alone.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator