Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple processors, compression in NetBackup

2002-03-29 17:47:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple processors, compression in NetBackup
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:47:13 -0500
.................. The only normal reason to turn on software compression
would be if you don't have a very good network between the client and your
media server, and you need to save the bandwidth - say you're backing up a
remote site.  Otherwise turning on compression is only likely to make your
backups slower and to make them use more tape...............

[gty]Or, if you were using client encryption.  Compressing the data after
it's encrypted isn't going to give a very good result.  Compressing on the
client before encrypting would be the only way to save space.

Thanks,
Gregg Yurchak
VERITAS Professional Services
Biloxi, MS