Veritas-bu

FW: [Veritas-bu] RE: Backing up lots of small remote sites.

2002-03-25 17:32:08
Subject: FW: [Veritas-bu] RE: Backing up lots of small remote sites.
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:32:08 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Anderson, David wrote:

> I originally sent this privately, but here is a public edition hot off the
> press.
>
> Rsync doesn't play in the NT relm.  That's a Unix-o-phile thing.  The
> original question was WindowsNT and 2000 (I think, I've been reading a lot
> of posts today).  You can do directory syncronization in NT, but I wouldn't
> recommend it under any circumstance.

Sorry, the thread was too long and I forgot the OP.  Anyhow, rsynch can run one
NT/2000.  This is still the same unix command, and requires Cygwin.  You don't
actually have to install cygwin (a unix-on-windows type of software), but have
the dll file and run the command.  I use a number of binaries from the cygwin
package for various windows scripting tasks.

Here is a link to get you started looking about the net if you are interested
in
trying it out.

http://dencity.com/babamarta/agenda/Rsync.htm

Other than that, I have not heard of a tool that is native Win32 to do this job.

Ron.