Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup & permission denied

2002-03-22 14:55:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup & permission denied
From: RMarkham AT hafeleamericas DOT com (Markham, Richard)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:55:20 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D1DB.84819A76

I'm getting a numerous amount of permission denied's within netbackup
of the following formats in problem reports:
  'cannot open file /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tprq/<media id>,
Permission denied'
  'cannot open file /tmp/sync_<media id>, Permission denied'

We are getting 'media open error(83)' and 'no storage units available for
use(213)'.

the knowledge base claims this is result of write protected tapes but this
isn't the
case.  also these tapes (100+) are all new and never been used by another
backup product.

i checked for the possibility of processes monitoring the tape drives and
not allowing
netbackup to have sole access to the tapedrives.  i killed sdtvolcheck
process, no go.
i hear there is a "system monitor" package but i dont have any idea what the
process
name would be.  We have a Storage Tek L40, 2 bridgerouters & brocades.

If anyone has dealt with a similar problem or has input on possibilities it
is
greatly appreciated.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D1DB.84819A76

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>netbackup &amp; permission denied </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I'm getting a numerous amount of permission denied's within
netbackup </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of the following formats in problem reports:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; 'cannot open file
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tprq/&lt;media id&gt;, Permission denied'&nbsp;
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; 'cannot open file /tmp/sync_&lt;media id&gt;,
Permission denied'</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>We are getting 'media open error(83)' and 'no storage units
available for use(213)'.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>the knowledge base claims this is result of write protected
tapes but this isn't the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>case.&nbsp; also these tapes (100+) are all new and never been
used by another backup product.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>i checked for the possibility of processes monitoring the tape
drives and not allowing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>netbackup to have sole access to the tapedrives.&nbsp; i
killed sdtvolcheck process, no go.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>i hear there is a &quot;system monitor&quot; package but i
dont have any idea what the process</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>name would be.&nbsp; We have a Storage Tek L40, 2
bridgerouters &amp; brocades.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>If anyone has dealt with a similar problem or has input on
possibilities it is </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>greatly appreciated.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>