Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] what is the safe value for "max number of jobs" for a client

2002-03-21 14:08:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] what is the safe value for "max number of jobs" for a client
From: Shyam.Raghavan AT weac DOT com (Raghavan, Shyam)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:08:31 -0800
Hello Group,

Does anybody know what is the optimal value for concurrent number of  backup
jobs a client can safely handle for a typical Unix client with:

Solaris 2.6
4 CPUs
2GB memory
100 Mbps dedicated hme interface (for backup only) in 100/Full duplex mode
Total 600 GB of data in  32 Filesystems

What is the best way to backup this data using  8 DLT 7000 drives in 2 STUs
( 4 drives in each STU)

Option 1.

-- Set -max_jobs to 32 for this client
-- Set MPX per DRIVE to 4

Option 2

-- Set -max_jobs to 16  for this client
-- Set MPX per DRIVE to 2

If I use option # 1, then, all 32 Streams from 32 Filesystems will be active
simultaneously and  I may be really hitting the network interface/ Drives /
Shared memory pool on client and there by degrading the performance; I am
not sure ??

If I use option # 2, then only 16 jobs will be active at a time and so it
may take longer for the backup to finish.

What do you guys think ? option #1,  #2 or a better 3rd option ?

Any suggestion or recommendation are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shyam