Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] st entry in messages

2002-03-08 10:55:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] st entry in messages
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com (anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:55:03 -0500
Guy,

   QUESTION 1:  Are you saying that 'sgscan' does not report a drive at
target 15 (ie. you know you have 4 tape drives but 'sgscan' only lists
three tape lines) or are you saying that when 'sgscan' lists the tape
drive, the '/dev/rmt' path that's usually in ()'s, is listed as '???'?
Since you mention rebuilding the 'sg' drivers I'm going to assume its the
former (sgscan doesn't even list the device) and not the latter.

   QUESTION 2:  It looks like you're running Unix on your master/media
server?  What vendor and version?   I maintain Sun boxes running Solaris 8
so my comments will be geared toward that OS.  If you're not running
Solaris, then make appropriate mods to the comments to fit your OS.

   First, 'sgscan' uses the 'sg' driver (obviously) and with it the
'/kernel/drv/sg.conf' file; it does not use the 'st' file
   Second, when you say "rebuild my sg drivers", does that simply mean running
'sg.build' and then 'sg.install' from the
'/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver' directory'?.  If so, are you sure the new
'sg.conf' file got copied to the appropriate kernel directory
('/kernel/drv' in Solaris).
   Third, after "rebuilding" the driver, did you make sure you took
whatever steps are necessary to get the system to rebuild the entries in
the '/dev/sg' directory?   (under Solaris, this means doing a 'reboot --
-r' from the command line or a 'boot -r' from the OpenBoot  [a.k.a. 'OK']
prompt).

I bring up the issue of 'got copied' because the 'sg.install' utility in
the Solaris version will *not* copy the file to '/kernel/drv' if one
already exists in there.  It also will not build any new '/dev/sg'
devices.  It does this under the assumption that you're doing a driver
update (e.g., as part of a patch application) and as  such don't need to
change the config, only the loadable driver itself.  So unless you're make
special modifications to the sg.conf file, I'd just delete it and rerun
the 'sg.install utility.  I've done this many times myself.

Oh, and 'yes', 'target f lun 0' does mean 'target 15, LUN 0'.

-- Tony Guzzi
Sr. Solutions Engineer, AssuredRestore team
Storability, Inc.

www.storabilility.com
The Leading Provider of Automated Storage Assurance for the Global
Enterprise