Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups

2002-03-07 16:32:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:32:17 -0800
I am of the opinion that the way you are currently doing it is the best
method.  The reasons are simple:

It introduces less complexity to both backups and restores.

Both are done faster if to-from disk rather than tape.

Tape can run 24/7. The large libraries are designed for that.

What we are migrating to is a dbexports filesystem that lives on a
NetApp.  Each instance gets exported to this filesystem and the
filesystem gets backed up to tape once a week.  The filer resides in a
different building (as does the library) so DR is accomplished.  With
NetApp we take snapshots every night each week so we also have 5 copies
online in case of corruption.  You could do the same with standard ufs,
just add a move command to the end of the dba's export script.

My $.02

~JK

--
Jeff Kennedy