Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] duplicating backups

2002-03-05 19:48:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] duplicating backups
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:48:27 -0600
The duplicate will go to whichever STU you specify as the dest STU.

The source will be the media server that wrote it by default.

If this was your media server and you specify the master's STU as the
destination, the traffic would go over the Ethernet and there would be some
resources used on the media server.  To have the master read the tape (and
have all traffic be local to the master) you need to use the -altreadhost
option with bpduplicate.

- Scott

                    "Paul, Jolinda D."

                    <Paul.Jolinda AT mayo DOT edu>              To:     "David
A. Chapa (E-mail)" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     "Veritas-Bu
(E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] duplicating backups
                    auburn.edu

                    03/05/2002 05:29 PM

If I perform duplicate jobs, which storage unit should I use:  the master
server that sees all of the drives, or the media server that only sees 2
drives?  I am trying to duplicate a full backup of the media server in SAN
environment and do not want the traffic to go over Ethernet, only over the
fiber.  I also do not want my media server to be taxed with this additional
work since it is an application server during the day.  If I use the master
server storage unit, will this accomplish what we need?  What is the best
practice?

J Paul