Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Thoughts on rerunning a single failed stream?

2002-03-05 15:46:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Thoughts on rerunning a single failed stream?
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:46:38 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C486.D8CD00A0

We have some backup classes that have multiple streams.  When one stream
fails, the only way to rerun just that stream is to initiate a backup on the
whole client and then kill off the other streams.  This is a tedious process
because you have to lookup the file list on the stream that failed, compare
it to the file list for the streams that are running, kill them, etc.

Does anyone have a better solution?  In most cases, logging into the client
and using bpbackup is not an option.

I'm almost tempted to break all of my classes into multiple classes, one
stream each, but that just seems ugly (or have other people tried that?).
Just rerunning the whole backup is not good because it chews up way too much
tape on, say, a 500Gb full ;)

I've been playing with bpbackup on the master server to see if there is some
way of saying "backup these files on this client," but bpbackup apparently
doesn't support this - it either runs a schedule for a client or you use it
on the client.  There appears to be no way to say "here's a list of files on
client X, now go back them up as if we're running a full/incremental/etc."

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Drew Fabbro
fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C486.D8CD00A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Thoughts on rerunning a single failed stream?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We have some backup classes that have multiple =
streams.&nbsp; When one stream fails, the only way to rerun just that =
stream is to initiate a backup on the whole client and then kill off =
the other streams.&nbsp; This is a tedious process because you have to =
lookup the file list on the stream that failed, compare it to the file =
list for the streams that are running, kill them, etc.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Does anyone have a better solution?&nbsp; In most =
cases, logging into the client and using bpbackup is not an =
option.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm almost tempted to break all of my classes into =
multiple classes, one stream each, but that just seems ugly (or have =
other people tried that?).&nbsp; Just rerunning the whole backup is not =
good because it chews up way too much tape on, say, a 500Gb full =
;)&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've been playing with bpbackup on the master server =
to see if there is some way of saying &quot;backup these files on this =
client,&quot; but bpbackup apparently doesn't support this - it either =
runs a schedule for a client or you use it on the client.&nbsp; There =
appears to be no way to say &quot;here's a list of files on client X, =
now go back them up as if we're running a =
full/incremental/etc.&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anyone have any ideas?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Drew Fabbro </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>503-450-3374 (desk)&nbsp; 503-701-0369 (cell)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;Everyone's a superhero.&nbsp; Everyone's a =
Captain Kirk.&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Nina Hagen</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C486.D8CD00A0--