Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Include/Exclude Files Dazzle and Confuse Me....

2002-03-05 13:16:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Include/Exclude Files Dazzle and Confuse Me....
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:16:25 -0500 (EST)
Macauley, David writes:
> I thought I had a handle on this, but it just isn't working as
> expected...
>
> 1.) In the Backup Policy Manager this standard (HP-UX) class is told to
> b/u "/", and to cross mount points.  Does the include file on the box
> also need to have "/" as an entry?

The include file on the client is for reincluding things that may have
been exluded by the exclude_list.  It's not generally used.

> 2.)  This box has several Oracle databases that are backed up by another
> class, so they have been entered as follows in the exclude file:
>                                     /FILESYSTEM1/u01/

>                                     /tmp/
>                                     /SD_CDROM/
>                                     /tmp_mnt/
>                                     core
> Is this the correct way to designate that I want these directories and
> all files and subdirectories excluded?

Yes, these should be put in a file called

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.$CLASS

where $CLASS = the name of the class which backs up / and crosses
mount points.   If you're running a relatively recent version of NBU,
you should not need to exclude tmp_mnt or SD_CDROM.  I also don't
exclude core, since:

1)  It's probably not worth the extra overhead (you have to compare
    every file to the list).  A "bad" exclude list can make backups
    really slow.

2)  If core files had no value, they wouldn't be created in the first
    place.

3)  A file or directory named core may or may not be a core file.  It
    could be one of my mail folders.

> Currently, the backups are seemingly ignoring the exclude list and
> backing up data that the other class already gets....   Is it time for a
> big hammer and refreshing my resume??

Probably just an incorrectly named exclude list file.

--
Larry Kingery
             Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....