Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-03-01 18:43:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:43:11 -0800
Thanks Scott.  I am seeing these performance stats during full backups,
which I think is fairly dismal.  My server is an E250 with 2 X 400MHz
with 2gb RAM, Sun gigE card.  The scsi controller is a Sun dual channel
HVD card with 2 drives on one channel and the 3rd on the second
channel.  By all rights it should not be a problem.

I have noticed that my memory drops to 32mb avail after being up for
about a week.  It seems to be the java process for VxVM taking *huge*
memory alloc's.  But I do not seem to be memory constrained, rather io.
And looking at the drives I can see it plainly.  What I haven't figured
out yet is why.  The Novell servers are fairly high end PC's with gig
cards and at least 1gb ram.  From a user stand point they perform
nicely, simply from a backup standpoint they don't.

Anyway, I'll change the mpx for the offsite schedule and see how that
works.  I haven't changed the defaults but retention level is all the
same.

Thanks again.

~JK