Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-03-01 18:15:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:15:07 -0600
you can leave stu at 4 but it won't matter as long as it's greater than 3 in
your case.  clients/schedules don't have to be in the same class to mpx to the
same tape drive.  change mpx for schedules for each of your 5 classes to 3.  3
will go to one drive and the remaining 2 will go to the other.

mpx'ing 3 to one drive and 2 to the other is what you asked for.  this may not
be the best for both fulls and incrementals.  you may be able to stream the
drive with a smaller mpx on fulls... make sure your media server nic isn't the
bottleneck here.

also, keep in mind that they won't mpx if they're different retention levels
(unless you've changed default)

- Scott

                    "Jeff Kennedy"

                    <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com>                 To:     NBU
List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
                    auburn.edu

                    03/01/2002 04:19 PM

I have created a seperate class for each of my 5 Netware servers.  Maybe
that's not the best practice but that's how it is right now.  I want to
multiplex 3 of these to a single drive and 2 to another.  The storage
unit is set to max 4 multiplex but the schedule is set to 1.  I
understand that both need to be adjusted, but it reads to me that the
multiplex number by schedule assumes mutiple clients per class.  So what
happens to me with only 1 client per class?  Am I screwed?

I am looking at multiplexing because on a Sun E250 I am finding that one
cpu is at 95%+ idle while the second is 0% idle, with 90% cpu being used
in a wait state.  I watch my drives with iostat and I'm seeing several
hundred k to 5mb/sec thruput per drive (dlt7k).  5mb/sec would be fine
but it shoeshines between the 2 extremes, so I want to just blast a
drive as hard as I can.

As always, suggestions for improvement in my methods are welcome.

Thanks.