Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] robot inventory on acsls master w/o drives

2002-02-28 07:49:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] robot inventory on acsls master w/o drives
From: christopher.birkholz AT veritas DOT com (Christopher Birkholz)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:49:09 -0600
Tony and Mike,

An ACS robot definition and dummy drives are not necessary.  ltid does not
need to run on a system that has no real drives.  The same is true for acsd.
vmd does need to run, and can be started independently of ltid.
(/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmd on UNIX, or start the NeBackup Volume Manager
service on Windows servers.)

If you want to use robot inventory update, the recommended, automated media
management method, just select an ACS robot on any host that has a valid,
configured drive, and make sure that the GUI is currently managing the
volume database host for the robot.  When vmupdate (which is called by the
user interface) runs, it will connect to the ACS robotic daemon on the host
corresponding to the robot that was selected (in some interfaces, the host
name is prompted), and acsd on that host will communicate with acsssi (UNIX)
or LibAttach (Windows) on the acsd host.  The acsssi/LibAttach component (as
noted in the Media Manager System Administration Guide ACS appendix) will
communicate directly with STK's ACSLS  and get the volume list from the
robot.

Robot inventories with Library Station (mainframe version of ACSLS) are more
complicated, as STK scratch pools must be used because most versions of
Library Station in the field don't allow an application to query all
volumes.  Thus, NetBackup needs to query by STK scratch pools (as configured
in vm.conf entries), then supplement this by validating a list of known
media (those defined in the volume database).  It's like a synthetic robot
inventory.

Tony is right about vmd not being associated with the robotics.

-Chris